New (ish) Makeup | Hot or Mess?


With the onslaught of new makeup launches constantly it can be difficult to know what to spend on. A massive perk of blogging is a get a fair few samples sent my way so I'll be regularly rounding up my favourite or hyped products new in the beauty sphere I've tried each month and whether I think they're worth the coin.


Benefit Bad Gal Bang Mascara (£21.50)*
With constant teasing that something "out of this world" was coming prior to the launch of Bad Gal Bang a mascara was my last guess, especially as Benefit are already known for two cult mascaras I love - They're Real and Roller Lash. It's been 4 years in-the-making and features aero-particles (a fancy name for one of the lightest known materials) derived from space technology. The idea is that with a light formula you get massive volume and lashes aren't weighed down. The mascara does what it says - adds volume and my lashes look longer - but somehow I'm just not totally into it. I really want to love it (especially as the rest of the beauty world seems to rate it) but the effect is clumpy and the slim ultra long brush just irritates me as it's awkward to use. Bad Gal Bang won't replace They're Real or Roller Lash for me so whilst I won't call it a mess Bad Gal Bang definitely got a lukewarm reception from me.

MAC Dazzleglass (£15.50)*
Not quite a new launch but different and 'returning' shades were recently added to the Dazzleglass lipgloss collection. It's described by MAC as "a lip colour that dazzles with light to bring an exciting dimensional pop to your lips". I'd say the real effect is more subtle but pretty nonetheless. I have 3 shades - Goldyrocks (lemon yellow), Rollergirl (taupey plum) and Tangerine Tropica (coral). There isn't much colour pay-off with the shades I have though Tangerine Tropica has more 'pop' than the other two. The formula is slightly tacky but I think this makes it fairly long-wearing (as much as lipgloss can be). I love these so I'd say they're worth the spend but I don't think any more than a couple of shades are needed as there's not much between them.

NARS Natural Radiant Longwear (£35)*
I've become that person with about 15 different foundations but I had to try this new offering from NARS as I have a few of their foundations already that I absolutely love. Described by NARS as "Longwear is finally lightweight—and radiant. High coverage is now super natural" with 16 hour wear and suitable for oily skin. Sounds too good to be true? Right off the bat it is one of the most natural-looking foundations I have and given the medium-high coverage I'm really impressed. It feels so comfortable on the skin too. The wear time is decent on my oily skin but I'm not sure about the 16 hour wear claim. I've worn it for max 12 hours - I rarely want makeup on longer than that - and technically it's still there hours later but there is a little transferring, separation and oiliness. A primer is a necessity too. The NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint holds up better on oily skin but I love the natural look of the Radiant Longwear so I'll continue to use it. Despite not being so longwear, this is definitely hot and with a little blotting not a mess for me.

Nudestix Rock N' Roller Easy Ink Liner (£20)*
I've never seen a liquid eyeliner like the Rock N' Roller - a "revolutionary roller ball [which] glides ink for easy, straight, smooth lines along the lash line". The tip is a super thin disc which spins around as you move it on the skin. The applicator takes some getting used to but I love the sharpness of the lines it creates. The formula dries quickly too and it doesn't budge. It comes in 3 shades currently Bronze Patina (copper), Golden Rosé (rose gold), Black Moon (black). I have the two metallic shades which are both absolutely beautiful but Golden Rosé isn't hugely noticeable on my medium-toned skin as I think it's too close in tone. I'd definitely buy these if they brought out more metallic shades and maybe some bright or pastel colours.

Smashbox Always On Lip (£19)*
I'm a big fan of the Always on Matte Liquid Lipsticks and now there's 24 new metallic, nude and bold shades making a total of 40 different tones to choose from. Smashbox say they're a "comfortable matte liquid lipstick...created in our L.A. photo studio to stay put all day on set". The pigmentation is beautiful and it's my favourite matte liquid lipstick formula. It applies super creamy and dries matte but not dry. It lasts, not quite as long as the 8 hour claim, but I'm not too fussed about having to touch up my lip colour. I have a few of the bold purple and green shades which are stunning but realistically I'm unlikely to wear them as I'm quite safe with lip colours. The metallics pictured are my ideal with Vino Noir (metallic burgundy) and XO, Vlada (rose gold with gold pearl) being my favourites. The metallics are a softer matte and I love them so much I'll be grabbing the shade Carat Stick (metallic orange).

Shades L to R - Dazzleglass Goldyrocks, Dazzleglass Rollergirl, Dazzleglass Tangerine Tropica, Smashbox Vino Noir, Smashbox XO, Vlada, Nudestix Bronze Patina and Nudestix Golden Rosé

* - samples - read my disclaimer here.

Lesley x