The UK just got Glossier


Glossier started shipping to the UK earlier this month through their website and as they have their own warehouse here there's no long waits for deliveries or customs charges. The time to freak out is now.

I've already given a quick run-down of the brand in this post but in short there's two important things you need to know about Glossier. Skincare is essential, makeup is secondary. Founder Emily Weiss has created a brand that's beauty stripped back with products that are easy to use in a simplified regime.

The products are good quality, neatly packed (hello pink-accented packaging) and the pricing is fair for the quality. Each product is designed to enhance your natural beauty - it's intended to be killer skincare and products to nail that 'no makeup makeup' look. Whilst the range is small there's still over 20 products to explore (and that's not counting the different shades) so I've been trying to really get to grips with as much of the range as possible over the past couple of months to really suss out what's worth purchasing.


The skincare

I've always taken a simple approach to skincare. My ideal is an uncomplicated routine with quality products which work the way they claim they will. So far I feel like Glossier deliver on those aspects but I feel like they're targeted mostly to a particular skin type - dry with not many other skin concerns.


Milky Jelly Cleanser (£15/177ml)*
It's a pH balanced gel cleanser to remove impurities without irritating or drying out the skin. Interestingly it contains poloxamer which is a mild cleansing agent found in contact lens solution - so this product is safe to use around the eyes to remove eye makeup. It feels so gentle on the skin, leaving it fresh and clean afterwards but without that squeaky, tight feeling. It's a good cleanser but it's not the best makeup remover. I've found removing my mascara separately first is easier. I also always double cleanse in the evenings to ensure all traces of my makeup are gone, so I often use this after another cleanser.

Priming Moisturizer (£18/50ml)*
It's stated to provide the ideal base for skin before makeup. It contains hyaluronic acid and mushroom plant extract to add moisture and plump the skin for a dewy finish. Tea and honey also soothes redness and calms the skin. It's a very hydrating moisturiser with a lightweight texture which you can build up as much as you need. It isn't tacky - it just leaves the skin soft and smooth. I like it but not enough for it to replace another 2-in-1 priming moisturiser I use from another brand which feels lighter and more ideal for my oily-prone skin.

Super Pure Serum (£24/15ml)*
Glossier has 3 skincare serums, the Super Pure contains niacinamide (Vitamin B3) and zinc which soothes redness and helps remove impurities as it's primarily for breakout-prone skin. I've now been using this instead of a couple of other products I have containing vitamin B3 for the past couple of weeks but I still think it's too early on to tell how much of an impact this serum has had yet. With other similar products I've seen decent results on congested skin but nothing extraordinary. I still get spots, they're just not lingering around as long as they can do so I'm hoping this serum will give better results.


Soothing Face Mist (£15/118ml)*
I use a lot of face mists to prep skin before moisturising and to refresh during the day. It's key ingredients are rosewater, aloe vera, honeysuckle and glycerine which work together to hydrate and smooth the skin. This feels fresh on the skin, quite tingly and has a subtle herbal scent. I like it but I have other face mists which I'd use over this.

Balm Dotcom (£10/15ml)*
This is a multi-purpose balm for chapped and dry skin. I have a lot of very similar products but I've been using this more as it's not overly shiny. It's great for softening dry areas but I tend to only really use these types of balms on my lips. I mostly apply a thick layer before bed and when I wake up my lips feel so smooth. The original version is what I've been using most which is unscented / unflavoured but it's available in Coconut, Rose, Cherry, Mint and Birthday too. I picked up the latter recently and as it's inspired by Milk Bar's cake it's smells like vanilla and it contains a subtle shimmer, need I say more?

Moon Moisturising Mask (£18/90ml)*
It's a hydrating treatment formulated with sweet almond oil, plant-based squalane, and hyaluronic acid. I use masks regularly for a serious skin pick-me-up and I have so many I love that this had big competition. I've tried this mask 3 times, twice after exfoliating with the PMD* (a device which sloughs off dead skin cells from the outer most layer of the skin) and this was the perfect combination. Each time I applied a thick layer onto damp skin. The product is creamy but gradually seems to sink into the skin after 20 minutes. After rinsing thoroughly my skin is always the softest I've ever experienced after using any kind of mask and I'm so impressed with this product I'd definitely buy it when it runs out.


The Makeup

Throughout the summer I adopted a minimal makeup routine and I felt like my skin was generally less irritated and looked better for it. Most days I skipped foundation and tried to stick to using just the below products and a bit of mascara. My makeup was nothing over the top and the goal was always just beautifully glowing skin - sounds simple but difficult to nail without the right products.


Haloscope Highlighter in Quartz (£18/5.5g)*
I have nothing like this dual-formula stick. The outer ring contains crystal extracts (yes you read that correctly, actual crystals) and the oil core contains vitamins and moisturisers. It's the ideal non-glittery highlight for that dewy, lit from within effect. It looks absolutely beautiful swiped onto bare cheekbones - which is mostly how I wore it during the summer. Now it's colder I've been wearing foundation more often again and I find the Haloscope shifts around anything underneath if applied straight from the stick so I prefer to dab it on with my fingers. The result is a subtle glow and I really love that it's not immediately obvious I'm wearing this. This shade Quartz is probably the most universal but there's also Moonstone ideal for lighter skintones and Topaz for darker skintones.

Stretch Concealer in Dark (£15/5ml)*
It's referred to as 'stretch' concealer as it contains micro waxes which are meant to move with your face so there's no cakiness. It feels flexible on the skin and ultra moisturising that it leaves skin dewy-looking after application. This does settle into my smile lines and creases but I always find this with makeup products so I think it's a lot to do with how I apply and set products. I have a dark scar on my jaw currently and it does cover it well but at the height of summer in London (which is pretty sticky and humid) I found this slipped around on my face and didn't really set so that's just something to bear in mind. Now my skin is drier and it's colder outside it's ideal.

Boy Brow in Black (£14/3.12g)*
I've been filling my brows in less and less lately, especially if I'm wearing my hair down as my hair covers them anyway. I like my brows to still be groomed however so this makes them look a little more polished and softly fills in some of the gaps and sparse areas. It seems very similar to Benefit's Gimme Brow which I've been using for the past couple of years but I've found myself reaching for Glossier's Boy Brow instead.


Generation G Lipstick in Leo (£14/2g)*
It's the lip colour for that just blotted look and uniquely both matte and sheer - not a combination I've seen together. The shade Leo is a warm cocoa brown and can be worn be different skintones as the sheerness of the product means your natural lip colour is visible and affects how the product looks on. My lips are naturally dark purple/brown around the edges and pink in the middle and this shade makes the tone of my lips more even. The result is super subtle but I really love the way it enhances my lips without it being obvious that I even have anything on.

Glossier Lip Gloss (£11/4.2ml)* 
Glosses have been my weakness recently and I love that this gives my lips a super shine without being sticky or glittery. My lips feel buttery soft with this on - thanks to the Vitamin E in the formula - and it lasts well too even throughout eating and drinking.


Overall most of the makeup products were winners for me - they're easy to use and deliver on the type of look I like to create on a daily basis. With the skincare the emphasis is moisture - ideal but I feel there are better options out there which are more tailored to oilier skin types. I'll continue to use most of what I have but the only skincare product I'll be purchasing with absolute certainty in the future is the Moon Mask and I've already picked up the Birthday edition of the Balm Dotcom. I've also recently bought more of the makeup - the Cloud Paint blush in Dusk and the Perfecting Skin Tint (foundation) - but as these are still new I'll review them as I get to use them more in the next few months.


*Samples - read my disclaimer here.


Lesley x