My Current Skincare Routine


I've had several requests recently to create an updated post for my skincare routine though in all honestly not much has changed since my last post in May 2015. I stick to the same methods and mostly the same products. As a teen with acne I used a lot of different products which promised the earth but they very rarely delivered. All I look for now is products which simply don't aggravate my skin and the below work well for me.


Cleansing & Exfoliating  
It's a bit excessive but I have 3 different products to cleanse my skin. Dr Bronner's Magic Soap (in Citrus Orange) is my go-to most days and I've been using this beauty solidly for over a year. I love that it's mostly made up of natural oils (like coconut, jojoba and olive) and it's one of those products which has so many uses. I bought the 946ml size of this soap this time last year and I'm only just reaching the end after decanting into a smaller bottle. I tend to use this to remove as much makeup as possible in the evenings or as a quick cleanse in the morning. 
When I'm not using the Castile Soap I've been relying on the Garnier Pure Active 3-in-1 Wash, Scrub & Mask. I've used this previously and I love the gritty texture which gently exfoliates and prevents my skin getting as oily. The formula includes eucalyptus and salicylic acid which gives a tingling sensation on the skin and really helps with waking me up on early mornings! I tend to use the Garnier Pure Active Micellar Cleansing Water as a final cleansing step to ensure all traces of makeup are gone or to remove makeup from delicate areas like the eyes. I'm currently using the version for oily skin but having tried the various types available I haven't found much of a difference between them.


Moisturising & Sun Protection 
Since the beginning of the year I've been using a few skincare items from Kiehl's to hydrate dry patches and give my tired-looking skin a boost. The Ultra Facial Cream sees the most use and I apply a little most mornings underneath makeup on the dry areas of my skin. It's so light and provides hydration without making my skin oily or greasy. I use the Creamy Eye Treatment less often, but it's so thick and rich I only need a tiny amount to perk up dry and tired eyes. During the evenings I tend to skip moisturiser after cleansing and simply apply a few drops of Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate. So little is needed and by morning my skin feels so soft.
I've been taking sun protection seriously in recent years and since I've noticed less dark spots (more on reducing those here). I've been using the Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield recently which is a primer, moisturiser and SPF all-in-one. It's the perfect concept though I'm not sure how well it protects my skin (review here). As a result, I tend to rely on the Solait Fluid most as I feel like this truly gives my skin the ultimate protection against the sun. Despite claiming to be matifying, I always have to go heavy on powder with the Solait Fluid (even when I don't actually want to wear makeup) as my face looks super oily otherwise. I find it doesn't really hydrate dry patches either so I still have to use my regular moisturiser on top. Ideally I'd love to simplify this area of my skincare routine as much as possible. I've had such a good experience using Kiehl's I'll be replacing the creams and SPF here with the Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 eventually. It's just a shame the moisturisers I have already don't have SPF in!

*sample - read my disclaimer here.


What do you use on your skin?

Lesley x