Review | Illamasqua Makeup



Last month Look Fantastic officially launched stocking British beauty brand Illamasqua on their website. Illamasqua is one of those brands I've wanted to try after so many recommendations but I wasn't entirely sure where to start with so many products being suggested to me. At the launch I received (left to right above) the Hydra Veil (£32), the Masquara in Raven Midnight Black (£18), the Lipstick in Box (£19.50) and the Gel Sculpt (£22)*.

Of the products here, the lipstick is my absolute favourite (but you all know by now that lip products are always my weakness). The shade Box is a beautiful matte scarlet red and I've been reserving it mostly for night's out. The pigmentation is stunning and the colour lasts fairly well, even when eating and drinking! The Gel Sculpt has been a much needed addition to my makeup collection too. All my makeup culling at the beginning of the year left my contouring and highlighting game very weak. Until recently contouring was not something I did on a daily basis (or ever at all really) but the Gel Sculpt makes it so easy to add that dimension back to my face after applying foundation. It looks dark in the packaging but the formula is quite sheer and buildable. Applying is easy and blends so effortlessly - there's no muddy-looking finish so it's great for anyone who isn't used to contouring often. I definitely prefer this type of product to the contouring powders I've used in the past.


The Hydra Veil combines a moisturiser with a primer and has a strange jelly-like texture. You can scoop out a little with the tiny spoon provided and when you apply it melts onto the skin and feels really refreshing. It leaves the skin with a good base to apply makeup on leaving a natural finish. Recently how I prep my skin before makeup has become just as important as applying my makeup. Having tried a lot of different primers this year the Hydra Veil is definitely my favourite. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the packaging as I generally prefer to use something with a pump or in squeezy tube. The Masquara defines the lashes well and has a great formula but I tend to go for products with a comb-like wand. I have small eyes and I'm always massively clumsy with mascara so if the brush is too big it tends to go around, rather than on, my lashes! I found with this is I often would apply a little and then take a clean brow wand to distribute the product to prevent me smudging it everywhere. The shape of the wand alone is a reason I wouldn't buy this product, but if you have bigger eyes or wear falsies this may be more ideal for you!


You can get Illamasqua from Look Fantastic here

*samples received at an event - read my disclaimer here.

Have you tried Illamasqua?

Lesley x