Which KeraCare Shampoo should I use?


KeraCare has a range of shampoos for afro-caribbean hair on offer and here's how to decipher which one you might need and when you need to use it. I've already reviewed the KeraCare Dry & Itchy Anti-Dandruff Moisturizing Shampoo and the KeraCare Natural Textures Cleansing Cream but as they are my favourites and most used I thought I'd mention them again here.


KeraCare 1st Lather Shampoo Sulfate Free (£3.85/240ml)*
If you need a deep clean, reach for this bottle. I tend to use this once a month when my hair is looking a little lacklustre. It's for all hair types and cleanses the hair of build-up, dirt and styling product with just one sudsing. This shampoo is designed to prep the hair to respond better to your usual wash routine so it's best to follow this with a gentle moisturising shampoo before conditioning.

KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo Sulfate Free (£4.45/240ml)*
This is the perfect partner to the 1st Lather Shampoo as it lightly conditions the strands preventing your hair from feeling stripped post-cleanse. You can also use it alone to gently remove dirt. It gives it a great amount of slip for a shampoo so this is best for dry or delicate hair types which are prone to tangling.

KeraCare Dry & Itchy Anti-Dandruff Moisturizing Shampoo (£7.20/240ml)*
If your scalp is persistently dry and itchy this will whip it into shape. This product is more than just a shampoo. I consider it a treatment for troublesome scalps and an absolute necessity in my haircare routine. It's made with various flower extracts including Ivy and Matricaria (German Chamomile) which soothes itchy conditions. My scalp knows when I don't use this, so I usually have to rely on it every 1 to 2 weeks. It's supposed to moisturise the scalp and hair, but I find it can leave my locks a little parched so I always apply an oil or conditioner before using this.

KeraCare Natural Textures Cleansing Cream Sulfate Free (£6.35/240ml)*
This beauty was made with drier curly hair in mind and if you want a way to gently wash your strands this product will be your go-to. It's the best ingredients-wise out of the shampoos here with Ayurveda Botanicals and various oils all inside the bottle. I prefer to use this whenever I'm not using the Dry & Itchy Shampoo or post-workout for a quick cleanse which can be once a week. It won't give your hair a deep clean, but the results are the equivalent of a co-wash, so if you're a little strapped for time you don't have to condition afterwards.

KeraCare Moisturizing Shampoo For Color Treated Hair (£5.75/240ml)*
You guessed it, this product is made for colour-treated hair and protects it from dreaded fading. KeraCare also claims this shampoo shields hair from UV rays. It's moisturising and strengthening with a 'Fiber Strengthening Complex' which is great for maintaining delicate relaxed and fine hair too.

*sample - read my disclaimer here.

Which shampoo do you like to use?

Lesley x